On June 14th 2013 I had my last A-level exam and I had completely finished school. It has been over a year since I left and for me leaving school was one of best moments of my life so far! It wasn't that I hated school, I got along with my teachers and a few of the people in my year and I enjoyed my A-level subjects - I needed something new. It wasn't until August 15th 2013 where an opportunity for something new appeared and this was University!
University was not something I had really considered until the end of year 12, it was that time in a teenagers life where they have to decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives (I was not ready for this). I was watching everyone in my year make plans for their future and I was stuck not knowing what I wanted in my life. When I decided to apply for university I strictly looked at local universities as I was no way ready to move away! However, being a shy person and not the best in social situations I realised the only way for me to grow as a person was to move away and become more independent and I knew this would not happen at home - I don't drink and I don't like clubbing and I knew I would miss out on meeting new people because of this. It's fair to say moving away was the best option, living in university halls has let me meet so many lovely people from all over the country and I'm slowly becoming more independent :) (doing my washing for the first time was the moment I felt grown up)
My first year has been a roller coaster of experiences, I've learnt new things whether it be educational, personal or just learning how to be an adult - something I have been trying to avoid my whole life!
I've learnt how to wash my own clothes (despite how expensive it was!) I've done my own shopping, cooked for myself, learnt how to budget my money! Things I had never really done before and was never taught because schools don't actually teach us any life skills..! Even just going into town on my own was something I'd never done before uni so there's an improvement :)
Although my university experience has not been all rainbows and sunshine. Something I was not expecting at university was the workload! Yes, I know it's university and it's supposed to be hard but for a first year student, the work was overwhelming.
They say all you need for your first year is to pass because first year doesn't count, despite knowing that, I didn't like the idea of just scraping a pass! Being a student away from home comes with the responsibility of cooking, shopping and washing as well as having some fun, but all that with the workload was too much for me - I'm a very anxious anyway especially with school and everything going on a short space of time caused huge amounts of stress,anxiety and panic attacks (The fact my assignment deadlines were a week before my summer exam and as well as other personal things didn't help) With the help from my good friend at home and friends at university I managed to get through the last semester and I passed the year with a 2:2 (an overall average of 55.3%). Although I am happy with this result, I feel I could have done better if it weren't for the huge stress and anxiety I had with my work.
They say all you need for your first year is to pass because first year doesn't count, despite knowing that, I didn't like the idea of just scraping a pass! Being a student away from home comes with the responsibility of cooking, shopping and washing as well as having some fun, but all that with the workload was too much for me - I'm a very anxious anyway especially with school and everything going on a short space of time caused huge amounts of stress,anxiety and panic attacks (The fact my assignment deadlines were a week before my summer exam and as well as other personal things didn't help) With the help from my good friend at home and friends at university I managed to get through the last semester and I passed the year with a 2:2 (an overall average of 55.3%). Although I am happy with this result, I feel I could have done better if it weren't for the huge stress and anxiety I had with my work.
In September I will be moving into a house only a five minute walk to the uni with four lovely girls and although I'm extremely nervous for the second year, I can't wait to see my friends again :)
Sophie x
No comments:
Post a Comment